Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Oooh!! Bike parts!

In spite of the perils of biking in the city, there are many who would pick no other way to travel. Inspiring tales of cross-country trips and rides through the European countryside abound. Sylvia, my 1970's Raleigh 3-speed cruiser feels like my "trusty steed" as I navigate the bumby terrain that is Philadelphia's streets.....and I can always rely on Janusz, the Jamus to get me home after a late night in Center City minus the sore behind...


The 7th annual bike part art show is upon us and I took it....um...upon myself to make a
sculpture for the show. I descended into the musty, moldy Neighborhood Bike Works basement and selected some odds and ends that I felt had some "potential"....





It was my first foray into the world of sculpture of any kind. For some reason, it was quite difficult to connect with a welder, in spite of numerous emails and phone calls, so I settled for some Gorrila Glue in the end due to a looming deadline. According to a friend, the end result looks a lot like my paintings. Since I am a self-taught artist, I am often tickled to see that there is a consistent, strong thread/aesthetic that informs my work despite the disparate media I employ....


Mission to create a (what I hope is an aesthetically-pleasing-yet-visually-compelling) piece for the Bike Part Art Show? Accomplished!


Come to the opening extravaganza of food, live music, raffle for a Fuji track bike and visual pleasures on September 18th: http://www.neighborhoodbikeworks.org/BikeArt/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment