Tuesday, September 1, 2009

.......on the horizon"

It was a bright, sunny day and I was walking east on Baltimore Avenue toward the Greenline when I saw it. This gorgeous piece of wood lying next to one of the large, beautiful trees on the 4400 block. I needed a canvas for a new piece of work I wanted to submit on August 29th and it seemed I had found my muse. An awesome friend lent me a powerful little palm sander WITH paper and I got to work....


I had my neighbor cut me a 10 x 10 piece and then I decided to turn this piece of pine (?) into a "tile"-esque object. I sanded out its splintery edges, rounding them out a bit. As I was working on it, I fell in love with the pattern and color of the grain so much that I was afraid to "ruin" it with my attempts at art.


In the end, I found a happy compromise. With a dose of some very-watered down acrylic and silvery line work, my masterpiece was complete. I am quite pleased with the "final" result and have now decided to work on a series of wood-paintings.....Yes, nothing new I know, but I would like to make sure that the wood is the STAR of the show...


Come visit my piece of wood and other 10 x 10 works while listening to 60's French and Cambodian pop by Dj Reve on October 1st at the Inliquid 10th anniversary celebration and benefit: http://inliquid.com/benefit/.


No comments:

Post a Comment